What to Bring to my Tax Appointment

 Income Reporting Documents

  •  W-2’s (wages from employer)
  • Form(s) 1095-A or B (Affordable Care Act)
  •  1099-Int (interest income)
  •  1099-Div (dividend income)
  •  1099-R (pensions, annuities, IRA distributions)
  •  W-2g’s (gambling winnings)
  •  1099-g’s (unemployment & state tax refunds)
  •  1099-misc (self employment, prizes, gifts, rents, royalties)
  •  1099-c (cancellation of debt) 1099-a  (abandonment of property)
  •  1099-SSA (social security benefits received)
  •  1099-RRB (railroad retirement benefits received)
  •  1099-B (consolidated brokerage statement)
  •  1098 (mortgage interest & taxes paid on your home) Bring closing Escrow statements on any homes you may have sold, purchased or refinanced.
  • 1098-T (tuition payments received by educational institution)
  • 1098-E (student loan interest paid to financial institutions)

IF you are a new client it would be helpful to bring your prior years return in case you have any carryover capital losses, carryover passive losses, contributions, etc. In addition we can gather relevant information to set up your profile (children’s SSN’s, etc).

Modern Social Security card.

Don’t forget your social security cards.

 Taxes are prepared interactively with you present so I can make a list of anything you forget and print it or email it to you. The return is stored in the computer until it is complete so it is never a problem if you forget something.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Get Prepared for Next Year’s Taxes


Start Planning Now for Next Year’s Tax Return

The tax deadline may have just passed but planning for next year can start now. The IRS reminds taxpayers that being organized and planning ahead can save time, money and headaches in 2013. Here are eight things you can do now to make next April 15 easier.

1. Adjust your withholding Why wait another year for a big refund? Now is a good time to review your withholding and make adjustments for next year, especially if you’d prefer more money in each paycheck this year. If you owed at tax time, perhaps you’d like next year’s tax payment to be smaller. Use IRS’s Withholding Calculator at www.irs.gov or Publication 919, How Do I Adjust My Tax Withholding?

2. Store your return in a safe place Put your 2011 tax return and supporting documents somewhere secure so you’ll know exactly where to find them if you receive an IRS notice and need to refer to your return. If it is easy to find, you can also use it as a helpful guide for next year’s return.

3. Organize your recordkeeping Establish a central location where everyone in your household can put tax-related records all year long. Anything from a shoebox to a file cabinet works. Just be consistent to avoid a scramble for misplaced mileage logs or charity receipts come tax time.

4. Review your paycheck Make sure your employer is properly withholding and reporting retirement account contributions, health insurance payments, charitable payroll deductions and other items. These payroll adjustments can make a big difference on your bottom line. Fixing an error in your paycheck now gets you back on track before it becomes a huge hassle.

5. Shop for a tax professional early If you use a tax professional to help you strategize, plan and make financial decisions throughout the year, then search now. You’ll have more time when you’re not up against a deadline or anxious for your refund. Choose a tax professional wisely. You are ultimately responsible for the accuracy of your own return regardless of who prepares it. Find tips for choosing a preparer at www.irs.gov.

6. Prepare to itemize deductions If your expenses typically fall just below the amount to make itemizing advantageous, a bit of planning to bundle deductions into 2012 may pay off. An early or extra mortgage payment, pre-deadline property tax payments, planned donations or strategically paid medical bills could equal some tax savings. See the Schedule A instructions for expenses you can deduct if you’re itemizing and then prepare an approach that works best for you.

7. Strategize tuition payments The American Opportunity Tax Credit, which offsets higher education expenses, is set to expire after 2012. It may be beneficial to pay 2013 tuition in 2012 to take full advantage of this tax credit, up to $2,500, before it expires. For more information, see IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education.

8. Keep up with changes Find out about tax law changes, helpful tips and IRS announcements all year by subscribing to IRS Tax Tips through www.irs.gov or IRS2Go, the mobile app from the IRS. The IRS issues tips regularly during summer and tax season. Special Edition tips are sent periodically with other timely updates.

The IRS emphasizes that each household’s financial circumstances are different so it’s important to fully consider your specific situation and goals before making large financial decisions.

You can find forms and publications at www.irs.gov or order them by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).




Enhanced by Zemanta

A&W Adds another member to the Firm

Heather Nelson-Allen


It is with great pleasure that A&W Tax Service welcomes another family member to their team; Heather Nelson-Allen has been preparing taxes in Washington state for the last few years and earned her Bachelor’s at Lewis and Clark College and her Masters from City University. She is excited to join both her dad and brother’s business and looks forward to continuing the family business tradition. A family owned business meeting the evolving and growing needs of families.

Don’t Have the money to get your taxes prepared… have fees deducted from your refund.

A quick and cost effective method for clients to receive the proceeds of their tax refund. Federal tax refunds are usually available within 7-12 days. With changes to the processing schedule at the IRS, federal tax refunds may be available even sooner. When the refund is received, we deduct all applicable fees and you or the location you designate print a cashier’s check payable to the taxpayer.